This is the first post COVID case that I have been able to treat with Saam. I’m so thankful that she has gotten such quick relief. Her response to UB+ is a particularly interesting reminder that you can use UB+ in a patient with no real heat signs.
42 year old nurse’s aide
Diagnosed with COVID on 4/2. Active covid symptoms included body pain, malaise, fever, lack of appetite, erratic bowel movements, abdominal pain. Denies respiratory involvement. Hasn’t been able to work since because of disabling symptoms. Chief and secondary complaints are all s/p COVID.
- · Body pain and pressures- all symptoms bilateral, in constant pain but location changes through the day
- sharp pains travelling through her limbs
- intense pressure on UB36 area bilaterally when she sits or lays flat
- none when standing and moving
- pressure at occiput- Cut off all of her hair to facilitate frequent warm showers which give relief. Warm water creates a minty tingle on her scalp.
- worse with eating- eats then feels pressure rising from her stomach that then aggravates pain
- worse when she notices her hands get wrinkled as if they are dehydrated
- all pain better with movement- walks 4 miles a day even though this is exhausting
- Pain disturbs sleep: hard to get comfortable and waking every 2 hours.
- · Glomus: Uncomfortably full in entire abdomen after eating 9+. Low appetite and afraid to eat because aggravates body pain. Heartburn eliminated with omeprazole. Has lost 30 lbs since COVID.
- · Bowels: erratic, dry stools that are hard to pass or loose with undigested food, can skip days; feels strong vibration 8+ down both legs during bowel movements
- · itchy papular rash on forehead and cheeks- comes and goes, notices in conjunction with increased abdominal noises; feels tight
- · Loss of smell- gradually returning but not 100, 1+
- · exhausted 5+
- · infrequent hot flashes, mild sweats or chills 1+
- · body vibrations 3+; dizziness with position change 3+, feels movements in her head
Appearance and demeanor: pretty 5+, attention to appearance 5+; quiet voice 8+; polite 6+, great reporter 10+.
Lifestyle: unable to work, mother of 3 children under 18yo
Morphology: sturdy frame, thicker flesh 3+, normal weight
Skin: dry coarse 5+, sweats normally
Body temp: normal when not having infrequent hot flashs/chills
Thirst: not thirsty but drinks lots of water because of the hand dehydration symptom; prefers room temperature water
Emotions: even tempered
Urination: clear to light yellow, denies problems
OB/Gyn: monthly period with normal to flow that is light pink brief and scant; denies dysmenorrhea or problems. After giving birth to twins via c-section10 years ago, went into a coma for several days but doctors are unsure of cause. Coming out of coma she had body pain similar to the pain she is currently experiencing
Tongue: light purple, thin body, normal moisture and coat; curled up edges and tip
Abdomen: deep empty epigastrium 10+ on an abdomen with otherwise good muscle tone; pressing on right lower quadrant and K16 recreates the vibration she feels when having a bowel movement
Treatment 1: SI+ on the right; herbs- gui zhi tang + chen pi, ban xia, ma huang, fu zi
All symptoms are at least 50% better-the UB36 and occipital pressure are now the most troublesome areas. Sleeping like a baby. Glomus is better and is able to eat more but is still afraid of eating. No more undigested food in stools, stools are now dry and is skipping days. Epigastrium is still strangely cavernous. Tongue is no longer purple but still has curled up edges and tip.
Treatment 2: UB+
Symptoms are 90% gone. Light pressure sensation at Ub36 and occiput are the most troublesome along with constipation with hard dry stools. Epigastric are has more tone. Eating much more with only occasional sense of fullness after eating. Energy and smell “almost normal”. Papular rash on face comes and goes but less frequently.
Treatment 3 (today): SI+ on the right and LI1+/ST36- on the left
All treatments relieved pain while she was on the table.